Bird cherry cordial
Makes 2,5-3 litres of concentrate
50 bird cherry flower sprays
1,5 litres water
1,5 kilos caster sugar
50 grams citric acid
2 organic lemons, washed and sliced
1. Clean and rinse your glass bottles with a pinch of sodium benzoate dissolved in hot water. Rinse the flowers well in cold water.
2. Bring the water to boil and mix in the sugar and citric acid.
3. Put the flowers and sliced lemons in a bowl, bucket or pot that can be sealed quite tightly. Pour over the hot sugar mixture, stir it and cover it up.
4. Store the mixture in a dark and cool place for about 4 days. Stir it gently once a day.
5. Next, line a jug or bowl with a straining bag and use a soup ladle to put everything into it. Squeeze the bag at the end to gather up all the liquid. Pour into the clean bottles.
Store in the fridge.
Dilute 1/4 concentrate with 3/4 water, or to your liking :)
Tip: Take 25 ml gin, 25 ml bird cherry cordial, top up with soda water, garnish with sliced lemon. It is SO good.